Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2014 FMH2014 - Scottish Premiership Preview

anfieldsquirrel

BDIFH42.png

Scottish Premiership preview - By Anfieldsquirrel:

As you'll all know, I'm a big follower of the Scottish Premiership (formerly the SPL). This is because I was born, and grew up in Scotland. But not many people throughout Britain, and Europe know much about Scottish Football. I bet that there are many people who didn't even know the SPL and SFL merged to make the SPFL and created the Scottish Premiership. But I am here too preview this league for you, and hopefully give you the ultimate FMH experience in FMH14 in Scotland. If anyone has managed in Scotland before, it would probably be to complete an easy 1k challenge due to the poor opposition. But despite what you may think, the Scottish Premiership is a very fun and interesting to play in, so I will show you the best and worst to manage.

BadgeAberdeen.png

Full name: Aberdeen Football Club
Nickname: The Dons
Founded: 1903
Last seasons finish: 8th
Key Player: Niall McGinn

Everyone must know Aberdeen! They are one of the most famous (non Old-Firm) clubs in Scotland. This is mainly due to their massive success in the 1980's, under none other than Sir Alex Ferguson. They won the league, Scottish Cup, League cup and even the European Cup Winners Cup in this time! But these days, they aren't quite so famous. So it will be your mission to build Aberdeen back up to the force they once were. They have a good squad of players. You have the likes of Niall McGinn and Calvin Zola upfront, Willo Flood in midfield and Jamie Langfield in goals, and with a good few additions you should be able to really challenge domestically! Whether this is a cup run, or a high league finish.. Well that's just up to the FMH gods. Realistically, you won't be doing anything spectacular in Europe straight away, but who knows what will happen in years to come. Fergie done it, can you?

BadgeCeltic.png

Full Name: The Celtic Football Club
Nickname: The Bhoys
Founded: 1887
Star Player: Scott Brown

Celtic, the champions of Scotland! They are now the only realistic title contenders due to Rangers' situation. I'm not discussing that though, if you don't know about that then please read up on that in your own time. But due to Celtic also having an amazing champions league run to the Last 16, beating Barcelona and Spartak Moscow on the way, they will surely get a massive upgrade In FMH14. So in FMH, you will probably breeze the league, so you can afford to rest your big players and keep them for for Europe! However, you've no longer got star players in Gary Hooper and Victor Wanyama, you will need to replace them as soon as possible. Also, you'll need to buy some good squad players to create some depth within your team which you will need if you're serious about challenging in europe aswell as domestically. So your challenge in FMH14 is to make sure and do the business domestically, but also force a significant challenge Im Europe.

BadgeDundee_United.png

Full Name: Dundee United Football Club
Nickname: The Arabs
Founded: 1909
Star Player: David Goodwillie

Not to be confused with Dundee, of course. But in recent years, Dundee United have massively under achieved considering the top squad they have. In real life they should be pushing for the top 3 spots. But in 2012/13 they just made it into the top 6 ahead of Kilmarnock. But in FMH14, you'll have a good squad to work with. Losing Jon Daly was a big loss for the team attacking wise, but they managed to sign back David Goodwillie on loan from Blackburn. And with the other attacking options in Gary Mackay Steven, you're pretty much sorted attacking wise. But the midfield and defence certainly could be doing with a bit of strengthening and you will have limited funds to replace these positions, so will you have to sacrifice your attacking players for some funds? That decision is upto you, and if you're experienced enough at FMH then you should be fine. So in FMH14, you should be pushing for European spots, an possibly aiming to win a cup, it's certainly a feasible outcome.

BadgeHeart_of_Midlothian.png

Full Name: Heart of Midlothian Football Club
Nickname The Jambo's
Founded: 1874
Star Player: Danny Wilson

Hearts are probably the most interesting option in the league in FMH14. This is because they have a 15 point deduction at the start of the league campaign! A points deduction is one of the most fun things to play with in FMH in my opinion, and I'm sure many would agree. The fact you have a very underwhelming Hearts' side to manage and attempt to overcome the point loss makes it all the more challenging. If you don't know about the situation involving Hearts, then I suggest you read up about it. They managed to sign Danny Wilson, so he will be your key player and will lead the line of defence. But the rest of the squad is predominately made up of youth players due to first team players having to be sold/released to make up funds. So you'll have a tough job in FMH14, having a major rebuild task on your hands, whilst still remaining competitive. How will you cope?

BadgeHibernian.png

Full Name: Hibernian Football Club
Nickname: The Hibees
Founded: 1875
Star Player: Kevin Thomson

The other club in Edinburgh, Hibernian! Not many people will have managed Hibs as there isn't much to them IMO, they don't stick out or have appealing to manage about them.. But after getting to 2 Scottish cup finals in a row, they will have a major upgrade. And in FMH14 you will have to replace the epic Goalscorer in Leigh Griffiths. You could always try and loan him back from Wolves, but due to their relegation they may want to keep him in game. So you'll need to buy a pure goalscorer and help the youngsters like Danny Handling progress. During summer Hibs strengthened their Defence and Midfield well, so you won't have to worry about that too much. And with Ben Williams in goal, you need not worry. Starting season 1 in the Europa League will also be a new challenge! In FMH14 Hibs should be very interesting to manage, and with a decent signing in attack then you should be challenging domestically and hoping for a miracle in Europe.

180px-Inverness_Caledonian_Thistle.svg.p

Full Name: Inverness Caledonian Thistle Football Club
Nickname: Caley Thistle
Founded: 1994
Star Player: Billy McKay

The best Highland team, arguably, are Inverness. They usually play in a higher league than their rivals Ross County, but last year for the first time Ross County were in the top tier of Scottish Football. However, Inverness still finished higher than their high achieving noisy neighbours. With a bit more luck Inverness could have qualified for Europe, but they narrowly missed out in the final few games only having themselves to blame. They haven't lost too many players, and they haven't really signed too many either. But keeping the core of their squad can only be a positive sign and will help you massively in FMH14. But you'll need to sign decent players for every positions, except possibly goalkeeper as you have Ryan Esson. But after losing Antonio Reguero to Kilmarnock, that position is significantly weakened. But all round the squad is in good shape and doesn't need to be totally overhauled. In FMH14 you should look to challenge for the European spots and cup runs early on, because the team certainly is capable.

BadgeKilmarnock.png

Full Name: Kilmarnock Football Club
Nickname: Killie
Founded: 1869
Star Player: Kris Boyd

The oldest professional club in Scotland are in serious doubt. Due to all the supporters boycotting matches and refusing to give current owner Michael Johnston anymore money due to his constant lies and lack of communication with fans.. But if you need to know more about this, please PM me. Anyway,say season Kilmarnock failed to make top 6 on the last pre-split match due to losing to Dundee. But this season there is a new look squad with 9 new players coming in, and keeping Kris Boyd for another year is probably the best business that could have been done for the team. However, the defence is still somewhat lacking in quality. So you'll have to sort this in FMH14. The midfield and attack are perfectly fine, maybe 1 striker could be signed as a bit of depth. And you won't need a goalkeeper due to signing Craig Samson and Antonio Reguero from St Mirren and Inverness respectively. Winning the league may be a distant hope, but a solid mid-table finish is certainly achievable with Kilmarnock.

BadgeMotherwell.png

Full Name: Motherwell Football Club
Nickname: The Steel Men
Founded: 1886
Star Player: James McFadden

The last couple of years Motherwell have been on a nice couple of nice European tours. Due to Rangers not being in the league, Motherwell have been the second strongest squad in the league. Last season in Europe they even got a round in the Champions League! Despite being knocked out straight away.. It was still a huge achievement for them! In FMH14 you'll have a struggle on your hands. They lost alot of key players, such as Darren Randolph, Nicky Law and Michael Higdon. And they haven't really replaced these players with sufficient quality players. James McFadden signed on at Motherwell again, which was a huge coup. But you'll need to sign a decent few players to get depth and quality within your squad. But realistically, you should be up there at the top in the league, and maybe have a nice European run on the way.

BadgePartick_Thistle.png

Full Name: Partick Thistle Football Club
Nickname: The Jags
Founded: 1876
Star Player: Kris Doolan

The new boys in the league, Partick! Usually going the newly promoted team in the Scottish top tier is quite fun, because it's usually the most challenging adventure you can face. Partick had a very successful season last year, winning the 1st Division and getting to the Challenge Cup final. But will they be able to make the jump up to the Scottish Premiership? You'll need to make some drastic changes to the squad, because there are no real strong points to the team. Your keeper and strikers are about your best players, and at that they aren't good enough to push for honours in the Scottish Premiership. So you'll face a major task making the team better in FMH14, but it'll be a fun journey, I promise you that.

BadgeRoss_County.png

Full Name: Ross County Football Club
Nickname: The Staggies
Founded: 1929
Star Player: Richard Brittain

After a very successful first season in the SPL, Ross County surely face a major upgrade in terms of stats. But they bought over 10 new players in a major squad shake up. This is looking to be a bad move for County in real life. But in FMH14, this may be a good thing. As they are mostly all foreigners, and foreigners are rated better in FMH than Scottish players usually. You'll need to work out who your strongest players are, and possibly get rid of some of the deadwood. You could be doing with a few more signings to strengthen the squad and give you some more depth to work with. Basically, your aims are to improve on County's league position of last year, and possibly qualify for Europe. Definitely a likely situation with the right tactics.

St__Johnstone_FC.gif

Full Name: St Johnstone Football Club
Nickname: The Saints
Founded: 1884
Star Player: Dave McKay

The Saints are having a party lately. They are getting better and better every year in the league, and last year they came 3rd. This meant they qualified for Europe this season and they had a memorable run! They got through their first qualifying round which is a massive achievement for any Non Old-Firm Scottish club. And in FMH14, they will be a force to be reckoned with domestically I am sure. They have kept their main players, bar a few. And they have made some nice signings to strengthen their already nice, solid squad. If you sign some decent players in FMH14, then I'm sure you will have an enjoyable experience with St Johnstone, an you'll be pushing for honours early.

BadgeSt_Mirren.png

Full Name: St Mirren Football Club
Nickname: The Buddies
Founded: 1877
Star Player: Paul McGowan

St Mirren are probably one of the least likeable clubs in the Scottish Premiership. They also play some of the worst football. But they have made a decent squad this year and managed to keep Paul McGowan despite rumours of him going to England! They also won the league cup last year, and they are due a stat upgrade because of this I'm sure!! So in FMH14 you'll need to sign a few players, mainly for every position to be honest. But after you've strengthened to squad a little, you'll definitely be able to give the league a go! You may not finish high, but I'm sure you can come top 6 rather comfortably. Also, you should hope for a decent cup run aswell.

yMTK6Ba.png

In conclusion, the Scottish Premiership looks like it will be one of the most exciting years in Scottish football for a long time. You have all different game types in the one league - whether it's an easy domestic run playing as Celtic, playing with a points deduction as Hearts, or playing as a low team looking like relegation contenders such as Partick or St Mirren. No matter which team you play as in the Scottish Championship in FMH14, I'm sure you'll enjoy your experience there and you won't regret booting up a Scottish save. Thanks for reading and I hope you all find this guide interesting and it gives you all an insight into Scottish football.

Great work mate and an interesting read.

I like the Scottish league in game alot tbh and my 28 season (so far) career shows that :D.

Cheers Ben, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Out of interest, which team interests you most? :)

I have a few in mind.

Aberdeen - Restore them to what they were under SAF, like you stated in your article.

Dundee United - I like their colour scheme :wub:.

Hearts - Points deductions means there is a greater challenge compared to other teams.

St. Johnstone - I like a good underachiever and I would like to carry the tradition on.

Great guide AS :D

I was considering having a go at managing Hearts because of the points deduction - I might try that relegation challenge (where you start bottom of the league in January) with Hearts because that will surely be a big challenge.

Great article AS :D Although I'm slightly disappointed you chose to write this before updating our career :( Back to the article though I think it was very well written and it does make me quite interested in perhaps playing a career in Scotland on FMH 14 :D

Nice work AS, Hearts are obviously the most interesting (hence why they featured on my list) but I have always had a career with Celtic at some point apart from this season so I may go for them again.

Only just seen this guide, well done AS, the only time I managed in Scotland was a few years back in FMH 2009 I think and it was with Celtic, well done mate, repped :)

Hibs should be good with the hef and collins up front. Can see them being one of the best teams in the Scotland on 2014

Possibly in FMH yes, but there are better teams than Hibs to be honest.

Hibs should be good with the hef and collins up front. Can see them being one of the best teams in the Scotland on 2014

Possibly in FMH yes, but there are better teams than Hibs to be honest.

Sorry to bump this but reading through this again and just wanted to show how wrong Sparky was and that I was right :P