Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2015 BatiGoal's Best BWMs

BatiGoal

Following the introduction of the FMHVibe RPG experience where I'll be doing my best to support the team as a tireless and relentless "Enforcer" of the team - Ball Winning Midfielder - I had a little deeper look into what makes a top level BWM (as a preparation for what's coming) and what midfield players in FMH perform best in this role right in the middle of the action.

Ball Winning Midfielder - (BWM)

A BWM's role and aim is to win the ball back so he needs to be strong as well aggressive with good timing and tackling. It's also essential to be able to 'read' the game and anticipate an opponent's next move.

What I look for in a quality BWM is high numbers in the following 5 attributes:

• Aggression
  • Decisions
  • Positioning
  • Strength
  • Tackling

Three additional attributes help turning a good BWM into a topclass one:

• Dribbling
  • Stamina
  • Teamwork

I also like my BWMs to have a decent shooting skill for the occasional goal but it's not his priority so I categorized my top 5 lists on these 8 attributes. I need to see these numbers, the more the better, in green.

There's a huge amount of players to choose from so I made a shortlist of my top 5 for three categories:

1. Expensive BWMs (price range approx. 10+M)
  2. Affordable BWMs (price range approx. 5 - 10M)
  3. Cheap BWMs (price range approx. < 5M)

Top-5 Expensive BWMs

1. Daniele De Rossi - 25.5M

Screenshot_2015-03-02-12-56-18.png

Daniele is arguably the best BWM in the game. He's expensive but he's top class and still has 3-4 good seasons in him. They won't come much better than this Italian powerhouse.

7/8 greens

2. Javi Martinez - 17.5M

Screenshot_2015-03-02-12-57-48.png

Because of his age I rate Martinez among the best buys if you have the money. Truly a super BWM. His wages may be an issue but if you're managing a top team and looking for top level guys than this is one.

7/8 greens

3. Kevin Strootman - 15M

Screenshot_2015-03-02-13-01-13.png

Kevin is an outstanding DLM but I've also used him in a BWM role and does a fantastic job. With years ahead of him for further development he's destined for the top.

6/8 greens

4. Nigel de Jong - 9.75M

Screenshot_2015-03-02-13-08-05.png

Not far from his 30th birthday but like de Rossi he brings top level performances as well as a wealth of experience with him. If you got a young squad and have money to burn to bring balance to the team de Jong and de Rossi are your go-to guys.

7/8 greens

5. Victor Wanyama - 9.75M

Screenshot_2015-03-02-13-09-24.png

No stranger to us. Enough's been said about him already. Altho he's not particularly expensive, but he's the 5th most expensive on the list, but like Kevin and Martinez worth every penny being a couple seasons prior to their peak.

7/8 greens

Top-5 Affordable BWMs

1. Luiz Gustavo - 9M

Screenshot_2015-03-02-13-11-59.png

Gustavo was kind of lingering between expensive and affordable perhaps he should've been up there since his wages are quite high. That aside, his attributes are awesome and all those greens in the good spots make him a top CM.

7/8 greens

2. Sandro - 7.75M

Screenshot_2015-03-02-14-44-57.png

Also no stranger to most of you. He'll develop with more greens than the very first day you meet him. He's a couple season short of his peak and not expensive which makes him very desirable.

6/8 greens

3. Javi Garcia - 7.25M

Screenshot_2015-03-02-13-32-11.png

A good DM but I like him more as a BWM. Right at his peak and he delivers the moment you buy him. Also a very respectable CB in case of emergency which is a big bonus.

7/8 greens

4. Cheick Tiote - 6M

Screenshot_2015-03-02-13-32-55.png

I feel this guy is undervalued. Outstanding player at the top of his game for a mere 6M. If you have the money for a BWM who'll last 5 good seasons pick Tiote.

7/8 greens

5. Stephane Mbia - 5.75M

Screenshot_2015-03-02-13-39-32.png

Similar story to Tiote. Fantastic and not overly expensive. Mbia's advantage however is he's also a very good CB which can come in handy in times of suspensions or injuries in the squad.

7/8 greens

Top-5 Cheap BWMs

1. Simao - 5.75M

Screenshot_2015-03-02-14-44-28.png

Due to his lower wages compared to Mbia I placed Simao in the "cheap BWM" list altho they have the same value.

As for his performances..I love him. Young, strong, lots of 17s and 18s he's worth 4-5 times his value. Class player! and one of my favorite ball winning midfielders in the game.

7/8 greens

2. Michael Bradley - 5.5M

Screenshot_2015-03-02-14-03-50.png

A very good Box-to-Box just for his ability to play in DM-CM-AMC but taking on the role as BWM is just as good. Lots of green for a few bucks. Sometimes I wish I could play with 11 BWM's.

7/8 greens

3. Eugen Polanski - 4M

Screenshot_2015-03-02-13-40-45.png

Some of you may not have heard of this guy. Well, meet Eugen. At 28 he's ready to be put right in the midst of the action in any league. A really good guy in CM you have my word.

7/8 greens

4. Didier Digard - 3.5M

Screenshot_2015-03-02-13-54-41.png

Not the best BWM but a very good one tho and definitely deserves to be included in the list. And cheap too. If you're looking for BWMs and are slightly short in cash please do consider Digard.

7/8 greens

5. Marcelo Mattos - 2.4M

Screenshot_2015-03-02-13-46-43.png

Like Polanski my guess is not many of have heard of this guy too. Yes at 30 he isn't the youngest but he brings experience and consistency and that for pocket change. Definitely worth a try if he's a stranger to you.

7/8 greens

That concludes the Top-15 but this article wouldn't be complete if I didn't include at least one free BWM for the managers managing a small team with little or zero funds for market activities

The Best *FREE* BWM

Gaby Mudingayi - FREE

Screenshot_2015-03-02-13-46-18.png

He's 32 but he's FREE! Depending on the team you're managing he's got 1-3 season of ball winning for you and he won't cost you anything. I say that makes him without a doubt a worthy '16th' Ball Winner.

6/8 greens

That concludes

- BatiGoal's best BWMs -

I hope you enjoyed the read and helped making up your mind on your club's next Ball Winning Midfielder.

One of my favourite roles and some of my more used DM's in this list (Wanyama, Bradley and Garcia), top read Bati!

Nath, thanks. You and I are on the same page ;)

Billy, I deliberately left Scott Brown out to annoy you lol. In all seriousness, I've never used/tested him so I couldn't include him but he does look really good with 6 out of 8 greens. He deserves a spot on the list just for those numbers to be frank.

Ashez, pls do share some finds I overlooked. I say when you have the chance to put me on the spot take it :lol:

@Thepremiermanager, yes he (Mudingayi) has still 1-2 seasons at a bigger team and 2-3 at a smaller one. His versatility is a bonus and makes him useful as a sub too.

Thanks everyone!

Mate a great list but sometimes the evaluated player value is useless actually not sometimes but everytime for instance a player with a value of €5 million can cost upto €20 million and sometimes more than that. So I won't count Luis Gustavo as affordable as his price reaches somewhere between £22 million and actually except for FCB in Bundesliga no club can't afford him in Bundesliga.

It would be best while testing make sure you check their real prices what the clubs asks for.

With 7/8 green and the last (aggression) at a respectable 14, Ive found Lucas Romero does a more than capable job. With added bonus of being natural at DM and MC and purchasable first year for under 10million, he would fit the bill of an affordable BWM

@ArcoDW, You're right about the value and some of the players could be pushed to the expensive list indeed. Altho I wanted to focus on their BWM attributes and merely used their value to order them.

@Phila, Romero is a great one indeed. He and a few others as well could've been good adds too.

What bout Sven Bender. Performed brilliantly for me...

Don't think I ever had him in my team, I had the other Bender, Lars. But looking at both their stats they're awesome. Sven's got higher greens tho vs Lars' extra green in Movement + versatility which makes him imo a better BBM. They're kinda between several roles tho makes it hard to pinpoint their best spot.

From my experience he is more of a Deep Lying Midfielder as I happen to manage Dortmund for god knows how many times :D

Sven looks to me like he'd perform really well in either DLM, BWM or CM roles (not the worst BBM too I gotta say but probably not as suitable as the other three).  His stats are swinging between several roles. I'm sure he did well as a DLM for you. Did you ever try him as a BWM or CM?

Well Sven might do a good BWM role for the team but tbh he always lost that to Ilkay Gündogan and Nuri Sahin. But I would still consider him more of a DLM. Every manager has their own approach ;) why don't you give him a try??

He's close to being the perfect CM as he's capable of covering several roles in midfield. He can basically play in the position any of the other CM's in the squad can't. That's invaluable. Oh I'll try him ^_^ and he's very affordable too.

Love the concept of this post. If you are planning on doing more, I suggest DLM :P

Btw, Wanyama is a beast.

Yes, I could do a few more, DLM being the next one ;)