Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2015 A guide to Rotating your team on FMH2015

Dec

Rotation in Football Manager Handheld 2015 is quite a big deal. While there is no right and wrong answer on who you should play and drop there is definitely some advantages and disadvantages related to rotation dependent on how much or little you rotate.

Define "rotating"?
Rotating is simply how many players you choose to play in back to back games. If you drop 4 players for another 4 from one game to another it is called rotating them. Though if you have to drop them such as for an injury or suspension this isn't classed as rotation as it isn't your choice.

Getting the perfect balance of rotation can keep your team fresh and competitive as well as happy. Too much rotation can mean your players don't perform as well as a team due to them not getting settled and making form harder to pick up as players thrive with consistency, yet too little can mean tired players whom are more prone to mistakes, injuries as well as unhappiness from those who don't play but think they should be.

What is too little rotation?
Too little often means keep the same XI every game. While this is acceptable with long breaks either side but if your players have high fatigue (90% or under), are in poor form or are being disruptive then it may be a good idea to drop these for a fresher player or to give another player a chance to shine

What is too much rotation?
On the flip side too much rotation is possible too.This can lead to the team struggling to gain form as they haven't got consistency individually and new signings will gel less if they aren't played a lot as they cannot get used to how the team plays week in, week out.

The perfect rotation
In Football Manager Handheld 2015 there is no such thing as the perfect rotation. There is however good tips to rotate. It is important you have a solid "spine" throughout your team of regulars that mostly play all the matches when possible. This should consist of around 5-6 players throughout the pitch and be your best players whom often don't need time off due to low fitness. However maintaining around this amount of players in a match; obviously with exceptions such as against lower league opposition in the cup, should allow your team to be fresh as well as perform well as a unit due to consistency, though anything upwards as long as fitness, form and team morale abides is also acceptable. It is all about analysing your games, planning a few ahead and seeing what your team is like to go into the next fixtures.

Another great piece, rotating by who you substitute can be a god send and it's helped me keeping my team fresh for the challenges ahead.

Here is how I handle rotation. During the first season it is a no brainer. Usually you wont have to much trouble choosing your starting XI so simply play all games with your best players and substitute as soon as you see someone is not at 100 percent fitness. You can also rotate players during CUP and early continental matches so that you get a feel of your bench and see who might be a potential first team player.During the second season onward, if you are successful your squad will grow, and you will need to make some pretty important decisions along the road. 

For example I currently have 7 players on loan because I simply could not accommodate a squad so large. I didn't want to release these players because they are good but not quite first team or even bench. Back in the first team I usually have at least two players who can cover any given position naturally. These players must be at around the same level of expertise and must be interchangeable when needed. One of them is always first selection but the other one must always be available to cover the first one without bringing the team down. For strikers I have a special policy.

1. The first striker will always play domestic games and will sometimes play really important continental or cup games.

2. The second striker will play most cup and continental games and will only take bench when his level of game goes down. So for example if he plays 5 cup games and only scores one goal, then he will go the bench. Usually for a game or two.

I am currently testing the idea of expanding this policy,  having two completely different teams (minus goalkeeper) active. Team 1- League. Team 2-Cups/Continental. This can only be done with a vast squad and plenty of talent in it. 

I was playing today and asking myself how many players should i rotate?

There are no simples answers, after 2 or 3 seasons i normally have a big squad ( in quality and quantity), só what i do is choosing my best Team. Then i left at first squad more 8 to 10 players, that i use on lower matches ( @gainst lower teams ). I then demite others and try to loan them, excepto ones that need some especial training like fitness and new positions. Not easy But this is one vital part of managing a Team and i Love it :)

I might help also if you set a general number for the amount of matches you want to give your first eleven and your subs. Of course suspensions and injuries influence this greatly but that's why I say keep it to an estimation.

At the end of the season I want my first XI to have played 2/3 of the games say 40+ from 60-ish games and my subs 1/3 of the games say 15-20.

I usually check the squad's appearances with 10 games before the end of the season and give the lower ones some extra games.

I try to create two teams. The Team A with the best players at each position. And the Team B with the best of the remaining players (usually youngsters) then I mix this players and put 6 players from Team A and 5 from Team B and create a squad for league and for cups I do the same but with 5 from Team A and 6 from Team B. It has worked for me very well.