Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2015 Game Analysis - Feyenoord v PSV

BatiGoal

It's always easy to look back in hindsight but we need to do so in order to learn from our mistakes. This particular game I'm going to look at is an example of a couple things that I would've done differently in a similar situation during an FMH career.

The game in question was played exactly a week ago (Sunday, March 22nd 2015) in the Dutch Eredivisie.

The Game

FEYENOORD - PSV

TEAM SELECTION

FeyPsv.png

Feyenoord

A weakened side compared with last season losing several first team players after Holland's successful World Cup campaign. Clasie being Feyenoord's best player, controls the game well but lacks threat going forward which he's been criticized for. Due to lack of funds manager Rutten failed to find a proper replacement for Pelle after his move to Southampton so he's been struggling to find a prolific striker. A couple points worth mentioning is Toornstra playing up front which isn't his natural nor accomplished position as is Karsdorp playing right back due to the underachieving Boulahrouz. These two might need a position change in a future FMH series.

PSV

Solid team and the best team in Holland at the moment leading the Eredivisie comfortably but I would've liked to see a couple changes for this particular game. Guardado altho not in his favorite position (FMH recognizes him as a LM) he does a tremendous job in midfield and PSV are delighted with this Mexican loanee from Valencia. Also, his CM position needs to be update in a future FMH series. But I disagree with the selection of Maher in midfield and winger Narsingh due to their inconsistency throughout the season.

Final Score

FeyPSV21.png

Manager BatiGoal

As I do with any FMH career players that are out of form for long periods of time or have been underachieving aren't playing in big games. It's a risk. I love taking risks tho so I would much rather opt for a surprise factor in Locadia up front with De Jong and given young talent Hendrix a starting place in midfield alongside Guardado and Wijnaldum.

Maher and Narsingh have been very disappointing for most part of the season so this pair is much better served on the bench for this particular game. I would give them an opportunity to re-discover their lost form in smaller games as I do in my FMH careers.

Game Plan

The question is how to concede less and score more.

Both Feyenoord goals came from Achahbar due to 'simple' defensive errors. They were two nice goals to be fair but these could've been avoided.

• Bruma and Rekik aren't great defenders but good enough for any Dutch team. However, defenders with better positioning and tackling would've given the Feyenoord striker much less time on the ball and avoided these goals. In an FMH career these two would be replaced by defs with better tackling and positioning and used as useful subs.
  • We haven't got better defenders so our next best option would be giving the Feyenoord midfielders much less time on the ball as to prevent passes to their forwards. A high pressing game could prevent one if not both goals but PSV weren't instructed as such. I understand away teams often allow the home team to 'make' the game but having a stronger team such as PSV I fail to see the advantage in that. In an FMH career being the stronger team I would play pressing ON to give the opponent less time to decide and force mistakes. Both in home and away matches.
  • The forwards failed to do enough damage up front and especially the out of form Narsingh shouldn't have been on the pitch. In this case I'd go for Locadia, a natural striker, alongside L. de Jong. In an FMH career I'd post him in AMR position as an Inside Forward. The surprise factor could've won the game in De Kuip. Unpredictability can be an asset in FMH.

Hope you enjoyed the read.

Comments of any kind welcome.

Thanks Dec.

I love analyzing games and think of the couple things I'd have done differently. Of course there's no way to realistically compare real games with FMH ones but the thought process is sometimes similar.

The idea started after the Liverpool-Man Utd game actually but for once my PSV loss came at the 'right' moment.

I'd definitely be interested in doing more of these.