Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2015 How to score more goals when dominating match shots

Dec

We have all had a game like Huddersfield where they faced 10 men Fulham at home with 31 shots (13 on target) but still failed to score; including missing two penalties, as they lost 2-0 at home.  But many don't realise that this happens in the game and often believe it is a bug in FMH and not down to their own tactics.

Causes:

Being Unlucky

Sometimes every team needs a bit of luck. On this occasion it isn't on your side but your opponents. There's nothing you can do but just write it off and move on.

Opposition being ultra defensive

If your opposition is camping inside their area then a lot of shots can get blocked or wide and this distorts the shot figures as they aren't "clear cut".

Players taking long shots

Some player roles such as a Box to Box Midfielder and Inside Forward like to take long shots. They don't get in the box to take good shots but like to roam around the box taking shots even if there are better options on.

How to fix this:

Get players with good creativity/passing

Sometimes all you need to break down a defensive team is one good player who can spot a run that no one else would in order to give your player's a vital opportunity in front of the net.

Restrict your roles

If you are using Box to Box Midfielders or Inside Forwards then maybe you should consider not using these roles to make your shots less random and more clear cut.

Invite players out

Don't try and play too attacking. Invite the opposition to have a bit of time on the ball and therefore giving your players more space in the attacking third.

Have a striker with good decisions/shooting

Having a front man who knows how and when to try and put the ball into the back of the net. A good striker can score more with less shots needed and therefore will help lower the number of shots taken with more goals scored.

Good topic!

Reasonable points but without practicable solution.

Hi, Dec, if you can give more detail solution, I will like this post very much.

The problem is there is no detailed Solution. It can be any of the above or any combination of the above.

There's no way to pinpoint the problem.

I keep it 'simple'. All seems to click except for the final touch. I bring in striker(s) with a slightly different set of greens. A little pacier, or better aerial, better movement, or just fresher pair of legs.

I usually make sure the skill set of my subs are different to the ones standing on the pitch just to mix things up when they're called upon.

Can't tell if that's the solution but it just makes sense to me.

For me it can depend on many things.

Normally INFs and BBM take a lot of long shots and this skews the statistics heavily, sometimes you are lacking that killer pass to break down a defensive opponent and others it can be a misfiring striker.

The problem is there is no detailed Solution. It can be any of the above or any combination of the above.

One or two example are welcome. Help us to know your ideas.

Does my "how to fix this" not cover this? I posted 4 different things to look at and fix. Such as playing a creative player, not playing too attacking to invite them out and not using BBM or INF roles.

Does my "how to fix this" not cover this? I posted 4 different things to look at and fix. Such as playing a creative player, not playing too attacking to invite them out and not using BBM or INF roles.

Playing creative player

Add more creative player? put 3 APM style players in middlefield?

Not playing too attacking

Change attacking to balance? Turn off press?

Not use inf and bbm

Change inf to wng?

Change bbm to cm?

This guide is open for own interpretation as it can go on formation and players. If you have your back up creative player on then sub them, if you are playing pressing then maybe stop. There is no right and wrong as every formation is different and every situation is different.

all too familiar! 

In my current save i find that the opponent has a tendency to start pretty defensively with either counter attack on or even men behind the ball.

What i tend to do, start balanced instead of attacking, the moment i score, check if they changed their mentality and adjusted accordingly.

Since doing that i have seen an decline in 1-0 wins or shock losses.

In my opinion my team checks all the boxes of Dec and his advice and his tips work well! 

Some good advice there Dec!

Also I'd add that the player stats screens are your friend here. It's worth looking at just who is taking the shots, who's getting them in target and not and also importantly, where those key passes are coming from.

A bit of simple detective work can work wonders :D